Wednesday, 28 August 2013

week 3: blogging task

image by shutterstock/Ribah







"But deep in your heart you know the guilt would drive you mad
And the shame would leave a permanent scar
'Cause you start out stealing songs and then you're robbing liquor stores
And sellin' crack and runnin' over school kids with you car!" 
Weird Al" Yankovic, "Don't Download This Song



One of my fondest memories in primary school was the two week break we would get after every term. These two weeks meant bonding time with my older sister and what better way to bond than through watching blockbuster movies.

Watching blockbuster movies meant watching the same Interpol notice or PSA at the beginning of every movie explaining why piracy is wrong. I never completely understood the seriousness of piracy and downloading.

I remember the first time I was introduced to downloading, I used a software called Limewire. Now it was not my intention to go against the law when I first downloaded my first song, but the message I was getting from my peers at the time and even to this day is that everyone is downloading and that getting caught or charged is close to never happening.


 You can find the beginning of the episode at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eP_i2ZBqYo

  
‘Sharing music files: tactics of a challenge to the industry’ describes how the sharing of music files has been the focus of a massive struggle between representatives of major record companies and artists in the music industry, on one side, and peer-to-peer (p2p) file-sharing services and their users, on the other (Martin et al. 2010).
 

It soon became legal to make digital copies for time shifting purposes. Digital files were easier to copy and distribute, which allowed the pirates an instantaneous, more influential ship to sail on: The S.S. P2P. However, the issue with P2P sharing is that a hosted network isn’t needed. All it requires is for a user to upload a file and make it available to others before millions suddenly have unauthorised access to it. Inevitably now thousands even millions are uploading the same file, couple that with protocols like BitTorrent, which provide the user to download small pieces of a file from multiple different users.




References:




"Weird Al” Yankovic  - Don't Download This Song 2009, YouTube, retrieved 15 August 2013, <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGM8PT1eAvY>.


 

Lime Company 2011, 'Limewire', retrieved 30 August 2013, <http://www.limewire.com/>

 


Martin, B, Moore, C and Salter, C. 2010, ‘Sharing music files: tactics of a challenge to the industry’, First Monday, vol. 15, no. 12, retrieved 5 August 2013, <http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2986/2680>







TechTarget 1999, ‘timeshifting’, retrieved 29 August 2013, <http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/timeshifting>


 


The Proud Family - EZ Jackster Part 1.mp4 2011, YouTube, retrieved 15 August 2013, <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eP_i2ZBqYo>

 


The Proud Family - EZ Jackster Part 2. 2011, YouTube, retrieved 15 August 2013, <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euqB9KJUIqU>



2 comments:

  1. Hi :)

    I definitely agree with some of your ideas in this post and I found the use of your personal story about your school holidays a really good way to draw the audience in. I think another way to draw the audience in would be to give the post a more relevant name so as to describe what you will discuss. I think it would have been good if you could have defined some terms and explored those definitions a bit, like what exactly Piracy is in terms of music downloading etc. I think the quote you provided from a song was really relevant, and you could even have elaborated on it and linked this into your post more.

    Good luck with your posts, Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very personalable blog post Mele. It was also very well researched. I thought perhaps it could have been set out to look a bit more exciting, but other than that the facts and opinions were good. I liked that you included links, videos separate quotes and song lyrics. I too remember the days of Limewire, it actually resulted in a new computer for me, so I can’t complain too much. You touched on the copyright laws, perhaps a look into the infringement penalties would have made a good blog piece even better. But well done!

    ReplyDelete